Who was St. Peter?
We thank our Year 6 2021/22 cohort for compiling information and designing this web page on their last Feast Day at St. Peter's.
- Peter came from the village of Bethsaida in Galilee and his father was a fisherman.
- Peter worked the fishing nets with his father and his brother Andrew at the lakeside town of Capernaum.
- Peter and Andrew were among the first to be chosen by Jesus to be his close followers.
- Peter was known by many names: Peter the Rock, Peter the Apostle, Simon Peter, Simon and Simeon.
- Peter is traditionally counted as the first bishop of Rome (Pope).
- Peter was crucified by order of Emperor Nero who ordered the death of all Christians.
- Peter is considered to be the leader of the apostles.
- Peter asked to be crucified upside down because he felt he was not worthy to die the same way as Jesus.
- Peter was the first of the Apostles to see Jesus after his resurrection from the dead.
- Peter holds the keys to the gates of heaven and therefore is depicted in pictures holding a key. He is also often depicted wearing blue and yellow.